Glaucoma is a group of different eye conditions that damage the optic nerve. The optic nerve is one of the most vital parts of the eye for good vision. The damage is usually caused by extremely high pressure in the eye.
The two types of glaucoma are open-angle and acute angle-closure. In open-angle glaucoma there are blindspots in both eyes. This means you either don’t have central vision or peripheral vision. In the advanced stages patients develop tunnel vision.
In acute angle-closure vision patients suffer from severe headaches, chronic eye pain and blurred vision. They also experience nausea and vomiting as well as eye redness.
Causes of Glaucoma
Glaucoma is the result of damage to the optic nerve. As the damage causes the nerve to progressively break down it leads to progressive blindness. The increased eye pressure is due to fluid build up and the moves around the eye. Glaucoma tends to run in families so it’s believed that genetics play a part in the disease.
With proper treatment eye sight can be salvaged some and blindness can be slowed. Much of it depends on the stage that the glaucoma is detected at.
Medical Marijuana and Glaucoma
This disease cannot be cured but medical marijuana eases symptoms to give patients a better quality of life. MM helps take some of the pressure off the eye and relieves nausea and vomiting. Additionally:
- This 1971 study found that ingestion of cannabis lowers lower intraocular pressure by 25-30%.
- Opthamologists say smoking can lead to unstable intraocular pressure, thereby increasing the risk of permanent vision loss. So it’s best to ingest it by other means.
Marijuana strains that help with eye pressure include:
- Rollex OG Kush: This indica-dominant strain relieves headaches associated with acute angle glaucoma to make the day more manageable.
- LAPD: This hybrid strain is 50/50, combining the best qualities of both. It relaxes your mind and and keeps you energized at the same time while relieving pain.
- Santa Sativa: This sativa gives pain relief and cuts down on any nausea caused by glaucoma. The nausea and vomiting causes a loss of appetite as well which this strain brings back.
Want to know more about medical marijuana and it’s qualifying conditions ? Subscribe to our blog !
Already have a diagnosis ? To book an appointment for your Ohio Medical Marijuana Card, click here.