Parkinson’s is a neurodegenerative disorder, meaning that the neurons gradually get worse over the years. The disease affects predominantly dopamine-producing (“dopaminergic”) neurons in a specific area of the brain called substantia nigra.
The way that symptoms manifest and progress are different from person to person but there are usually symptoms that are more likely present than not. Tremors when resting are almost always present, issues with balance, rigidity and abnormal slowness. Some patients also suffer from muscle cramping and drooling. Involuntary rapid movements are also sometimes present which increases the risk of injury.
Patients with Parkinson’s can also suffer from a plethora of non-motor issues including:
- Cognitive changes
- Excessive sweating
- Hallucinations and delusions
- Loss of smell or taste
- Sexual issues
- Weight loss
- Unexplained changes in vision
Causes of Parkinson’s
Unfortunately, science has not yet figured out fully how one comes to develop Parkinson’s. However, there’s reason to believe it’s a complex combination of genetics, your environment and your lifestyle that cause the development of the disease.
Interesting fact: Men over age 65 are most likely to get diagnosed.
Parkinson’s disease is not fatal, however, the condition usually worsens significantly after 15 years.
Medical Marijuana and Parkinson’s
This disease cannot be cured but medical marijuana eases symptoms to give patients a better quality of life. MM helps ease the anxiety and frustration that comes along with memory loss. Additionally:
- In one study published in 2014Trusted Source, 22 participants with PD saw improvement in sleep, tremors, and pain within 30 minutes of smoking marijuana.
- In another study published in 2010Trusted Source, researchers found that cannabinoids have anti-inflammatory properties.
Marijuana strains that help with associated proteins and anxiety include:
- Prevention: This indica-dominant strain relieves anxiety and promotes a good night’s sleep along with after-effects that lessen mood swings in the morning.
- Alien Breath: This hybrid strain is 50/50, combining the best qualities of both. It relaxes your mind and and keeps you energized at the same time as many patients suffer from chronic fatigue.
- Tesla Tower: This sativa is high in CBD so the patients won’t have so much of a psychoactive effect. This is important because the nature of the disease often leaves these patients disoriented. It’s also great for ridding anxiety and reducing inflammation in the brain.
Want to know more about medical marijuana and it’s qualifying conditions ? Subscribe to our blog !
Already have a diagnosis ? To book an appointment for your Ohio Medical Marijuana Card, click here.